Make Over Mental Health

Make up and Beauty...And Mental Health

Make up and the art of looking 'good' plays a massive role in my journey through various mental health conditions, and daily struggles. I couldn't begin to discuss the countless YouTube tutorial videos I have watched, the practising I have done over the years to grasp what works for me, to find my own look, the looks that make me feel comfortable and confident...hidden. 
We are taught from a young age by peers and the media, that we are ugly. To have that drummed into you so young creates severe levels of insecurities, and we all have them. Men and women, boys and girls. We all have insecurities about our selves. 

I look like such a different person when I paint my face to how I feel beautiful. But with this comes comments when I don't wear make up.
"You look different without make up"
"You look better without make up"
"You have no make up on, are you ok?"
"Why are you not wearing your make up?"
"You look ill, are you ok?"

I am flattered by some who think I look better without make up but I stand out more when I wear it and how I wear it. Its the dark sultry look I go for. So...my face...my mask actually reflects a little of what is hidden behind it, deep dark colours I wear on my face I feel are significant. I love crimson and dark matte red lips, smokey black eye shadow, these stand out on such a pale face of mine, and others express their love for it. But its relevant to the mental health struggles behind it.

As a child and teenager...I felt i was the ugliest thing. The self loathing and hatred I felt for my self was...sad. To feel that way about yourself and so young is a horrible and lonely experience.

So the make up is my mask, but it does not simply hide the inner truths, I believe it reflects on them and turns them into beauty.
One of my tattoos even reflects metaphorically to wear your demons, as they make you who you are. 
Maybe I do this, everyday. 

The Confession from this Beauty Addict is this....I use make up to help hide my insecurities and things I don't like about myself. I use it to turn my face into something different, something confident but dark. My mask partially reflects my inside. It delivers deep dark colours, like the dark depression.

My tattoos and meanings - A topic for another day


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anxiety - The Good and the Bad

Wise Words

The Story That Is